This beautiful Pink Shivers Cocktail is a frozen rum drink made with a dash of grenadine to give it a pretty color. Dress the glass with a complementary color sugar rim.
Coconut Rum for Pink Shivers Cocktail
This frozen drink is very similar to my White Shivers Cocktail, except it uses a splash of grenadine to give it the pink color. It is a pretty drink! This cocktail is made with coconut rum and cream of coconut and is mixed in a blender until the ice is fine. Start with a few drops of grenadine for a light pink color. If you prefer a more vibrant color, add more grenadine.
Pink Shivers Cocktail is Pretty for Many Occasions
I styled these Pink Shivers Cocktails for a New Year’s Eve celebration; however, they also work for many other occasions and celebrations such as Valentine’s Day, Christmas (with red cranberries scattered across the top), a bridal shower, a pink and orange fall table, and even a summer party.
Use Colored Sanding or Coarse Sugar
Use a tall, stemless champagne glass (or a similar one) to let the pink color show. I added gold sanding sugar on the rim of some glasses and pale pink sugar on the others to show you different ways to style your glasses. Use paper foil straws or gold stainless steel straws since this is a frozen drink.
Make Your Own Colored Sugar
You can make your own colored sugar with turbinado sugar (or another coarse sugar) and gel food coloring. Add sugar to a sandwich-sized resealable bag and a drop or two of gel food coloring. Thinner gel colorings work best because they will dye and spread throughout the sugar easier than drier, viscous gels. Squeeze the air out of the bag as you seal it. Then, squeeze the bag to mix the sugar with the coloring until it is evenly disbursed. If the color is too light, add more coloring until you reach the desired shade. Buy a specialty gold gel to make gold sugar.
You can make the Pink Shivers Cocktail without the alcohol for a mocktail version by substituting fresh lemon juice for the rum. You can also substitute pineapple juice for the rum, giving this drink a pina colada flavor. Or, add cranberry juice for a pink mocktail without the grenadine.
Other Pink Posts You Might Like
Click on each name to link to the post.
Pink Shivers Cocktail
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) coconut rum (omit this ingredient for a mocktail and add 1 ounce of fresh lemon juice instead)
- 3 tablespoons cream of coconut* (see note below about cream of coconut)
- Handful of ice cubes (approximately 5-6 large cubes)
- A few drops grenadine syrup
- Honey or corn syrup (optional – for sugaring the glass rim)
- Colored sugar crystals (optional – for sugaring the glass rim)
- If adding sugar crystals to the rim of the glass, do it before you make the drinks. Use your finger or a small food-safe paintbrush to paint honey around the outside of the glass about 1/4 inch (6 mm) down from the rim. It should be a thin coat so it doesn't run. Pour sugar crystals into a small bowl and stick the glass top into the crystals, swirling the glass to coat.
- Add the rum, cream of coconut, and ice cubes to a blender and blend until the ice is like snow. This is a stiff cocktail and should not be runny. Add additional ice cubes if necessary to get a stiff consistency. Add a few drops of grenadine syrup and blend to check the pink color. If you want it darker, add a few more drops and check. It only takes a few drops to make a blush color. (See the note below on how to make a mocktail drink.)
RumAdd 3-4 tablespoons of coconut rum for more rum taste.
Cream of Coconut*Coco Real Cream of Coconut was tested in this recipe. It is a thick, sweet mixture. Click here to buy online.
Use Only Cream of CoconutDo not substitute canned or coconut milk from a carton in this recipe.
Where to Find Colored SugarCoarse-colored sugar can be found with cookie decorating supplies.
How to BlendUse a heavy-duty blender or an immersion blender to crush the ice. It should be the consistency of snow for this recipe.
- To make a mocktail, substitute 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of fresh lemon juice for the rum.
- Substitute 1 ounce of pineapple juice for the rum. Pineapple will give this drink a pina colada flavor.
- Substitute 1 ounce of cranberry juice for the rum. If you want a lighter pink color, omit the grenadine because the cranberry juice will add the pink. If you want a darker pink color, add the grenadine.