This lemon cream tart is easy to make and uses an unexpected ingredient for its lemon flavor. Serve it chilled for a refreshing citrus dessert.
Easy-to-Make Lemon Cream Tart
This easy lemon tart gets its tangy flavor from a powdered lemonade mix. The recipe has a suggested brand, but you can also use other sugared drink mixes. You can also use an artificially sweetened lemonade powder to cut back on sugar; however, it might alter the taste of the filling.
There is no need to use a mixer for the crust or filling. I used a 10 1/4-inch tart pan with a removable bottom to make the crust. However, you can also make this pie in a 10-inch pie dish. This recipe makes a lot of filling–too much to fit into one 8-inch pie dish. If you want to make one 8-inch pie, cut the filling recipe in half or use the recipe as written, and it will make two 8-inch pies. Ready-made graham cracker crusts also work well if you don’t have time to make your own crust.
Preparing the Crust for the Lemon Cream Tart
This recipe uses a crust made from almond flour. However, you can substitute graham cracker crumbs for almond flour. Almond flour is made from ground almonds, making this a naturally gluten-free crust. Also, you can use either almond flour or almond meal, whichever you have on hand.
To ensure that the tart lifts easily out of the tart pan, either use a nonstick pan or grease a regular pan.
Mixing the Batter for the Lemon Cream Tart
Make the filling while the crust cooks and cools. Don’t forget that the whipped topping needs to thaw ahead of time. Set it in the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight to prepare it for use. However, if you forget, no worries! Below are some tips for defrosting it quickly.
- Put it into a cool water bath for about 30 minutes. Don’t use hot water, or the heat can melt the topping.
- Microwave the topping on defrost for 30-second intervals. Stir between intervals. Repeat until thawed. Be careful not to overheat the topping, or it can liquify.
You won’t need a mixer to make this filling because the ingredients are easy to stir. However, add them in the order listed (in the recipe) for the best results. Here are some more tips:
- The powdered lemonade drink mix will stiffen the sweetened condensed milk. Let it sit for a few minutes to dissolve the sugar if necessary.
- The sour cream can be lumpy. Use a whisk to smooth out any lumps.
- Fold in the whipped topping. Then stir the batter to thoroughly mix it.
Other Lemon Recipes You Might Like
Click on each name to link to the recipes.