This dark chocolate cheesecake is triple chocolate with an Oreo crust, chocolate filling, and ganache topping. It is decorated with milk chocolate turkeys.
Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
If you are looking for an easy dark chocolate cheesecake recipe, look no further! This cheesecake recipe is simple and uses the microwave to melt the chocolate. You can dress up the finished cake with the milk chocolate turkeys or add other decorations.
Make the Crust for Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
Use dark chocolate sandwich cookies such as Oreos for the chocolate crust. Crush the cookies in a food processor for consistent-sized crumbs, or place them into a resealable plastic bag, squeeze out the air, and roll them with a rolling pin until they are finely crushed. You can remove the cookie filling if you choose or chop them with the filling intact because it will not affect the consistency of the crust.
Prepare the Pan for Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
There is a trick for releasing the cheesecake from the bottom of the pan–just in case you want to place the cake on a decorative serving plate. Use parchment paper, even if you use a nonstick pan. This helps ensure the cheesecake doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Tips for a Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
When you make chocolate or colored cheesecake, have you ever found small white balls or specks in it? It is bits of cream cheese that did not get broken down during the beating process. This is caused by chilled cream cheese, which is harder to break down than room-temperature cream cheese. Here are tips to help you create a perfectly smooth cheesecake.
- Tip 1: Leave the cold ingredients out of the refrigerator until they are at room temperature.
- Tip 2: When you beat the cheesecake, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl because cream cheese will stick to the bottom of the bowl and never get incorporated into the batter.
- Tip 3: Consider beating everything (except the eggs) in a food processor. This will break down the cream cheese and make it smooth.
Cut Perfect Dark Chocolate Cheesecake Slices
Cheesecake does not cut well when it is warm or at room temperature, so follow these steps to cut perfect cheesecake slices.
- Chill the cheesecake in the springform pan until it is cold. (Or freeze the cooked cheesecake after it cools.)
- If starting with a frozen cheesecake, thaw for 15-20 minutes or until it is partially frozen. If starting with a cold but not frozen cake, cut it as soon as you remove it from the refrigerator.
- Heat a long, smooth-edged knife in hot water.
- Use the heated knife to make a cut to the center of the cake.
- Wipe the crumbs off and heat the knife again in hot water.
- Cut the other side of the cheesecake slice.
- Wipe it again and repeat the procedure until all cake slices are cut.
- Use this procedure to get clean, perfect cheesecake slices, as shown in the photo below.
Removing the Springform Bottom
You can serve the cheesecake on the flat bottom of the cake pan, which is the easiest way to present it. But for special occasions, you might want to place the cake directly onto a pedestal, cardboard, or plate. Two things make this possible: using parchment paper under the crust and freezing the cheesecake. (See instructions below.)
How to Remove the Pan Bottom
Follow these steps to remove the cheesecake bottom pan:
- Freeze the cheesecake in the springform pan.
- Take the frozen cheesecake out of the freezer.
- Place a cardboard circle (or flat plate) on top of a frozen cheesecake while it is in the pan.
- Invert the cheesecake. Use a hairdryer to heat the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Tap the pan on the counter edge while holding the cardboard in place.
- Remove the pan ring.
- Then, carefully remove the pan bottom from the cake.
- The parchment paper will stick to the cheesecake. Carefully peel it off.
- Place your chosen serving vessel on top of the inverted cake.
- Flip it over. The cake is now ready for serving or adding decorations to the top.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Dark Chocolate Cheesecake!
Other Cheesecake Recipes
If you like this recipe, here are some other recipes you might like. Click on each name to link to the recipe.
- New York Cheesecake
- Striped Peppermint Cheesecake
- Purple Sweet Potato Cheesecake
- Salted Caramel Apple Bars
- Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
- Dog Cheesecake Treats
- Rainbow Cheesecake
- How to Make Apple Cheesecake Dip
- Triple-Citrus Cheesecake
Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
- 1 9-inch springform pan
- 1 large pan with sides
- 22 dark chocolate cookies such as Oreos, crushed into crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ pounds cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the springform pan with shortening or butter.
- Blend the crumbs and butter until well mixed.
- Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Fill a large pan with warm water and place it on the bottom oven rack.
- Place the chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl with a handle. Melt the chocolate for 30-second intervals on high, stirring between each interval. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla, being careful not to overbeat.
- Stir the melted chocolate and sour cream into the batter until well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared crust and place it on the rack above the pan of water. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the cake cool in the oven for 4 hours. Chill overnight or for 4-5 hours and serve cold.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan or microwave until the mixture begins to steam, just before boiling temperature. It should be about 180°-190° F.
- Pour hot cream over the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Use ganache while the chocolate is still warm but has started to thicken. Reheat if it thickens too much as you work.
- Pour ganache over the cake a few minutes before serving. Then add milk chocolate turkey decorations.