This cheesy jalapeno dip will feed a crowd! It has bacon, cheese, and jalapenos in a cream cheese base. The recipe also works with hot banana peppers, hatch chilies, or milder-tasting bell peppers. Serve it hot with tortilla chips, crackers, or fresh veggies.
Perfect Game Day Food
This cheesy jalapeno dip is great for game day because it will go far! Most people will eat just a few bites because it is hearty and satisfying. Serve it warm out of the oven while the cheese is still bubbly.
Use Softened Cream Cheese
This recipe is easy to make because you can stir it together by hand and do not need a mixer. However, use softened cream cheese for the best results. Let it warm up on the countertop or cut it into pieces and microwave it on high for 10-second intervals until softened. The soft cream cheese will make for easy mixing, but use a whisk to remove any lumps.
Cooking the Bacon
The recipe for this cheesy jalapeno dip is made easy by cooking the bacon in the microwave. You do not need packaged microwave bacon. Instead, use regular or thin-sliced bacon. It takes about 1 minute to cook each slice. For example, if you place 6 slices of bacon in the microwave on a plate lined with a paper towel, cook them for 6 minutes. Be sure to add a paper towel to the top to prevent splatters. You do not need to turn over the bacon during cooking, and the paper towels will absorb the rendered fat.
Some microwaves cook faster than others, so you might need to adjust the time based on your microwave. Always check it before the end of the cooking time for over-browning. Add 30 seconds to 1 minute extra time as needed to fully cook the bacon.
Preparing the Pan for Cheesy Jalapeno Dip
While the bacon cooks, prepare a cast iron skillet. If you do not have one, use an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray. If the cast iron skillet is well seasoned, you will not need to grease it.
Mixing the Ingredients
Use a large bowl to mix the ingredients. A wire whisk will make the mixing quick and easy because the stiff wire will break down the cream cheese, helping create a smooth mixture.
Layering the Cheesy Jalapeno Dip
Smooth the cheese mixture with the back of a large spoon after you place it in the skillet. Sprinkle leftover cheese, jalapenos, and bacon on top of the dip. Save the cilantro for garnishing after baking.
Serve Hot or Warm
This dip is best when served hot out of the oven or after cooling for a few minutes. It can be refrigerated for 2 days and reheated in the oven.
Other Dip Recipes
Here are some other dip recipes you might enjoy:
- How to Make Apple Cheesecake Dip
- No-Bake Cranberry Cheese Dip
- Spicy Tex-Mex Dip
- Brown Sugar Fruit Dip
- Pizza Dip
- Spinach Dip
Cheesy Jalapeno Dip
- 10-inch cast iron pan
- 6 slices bacon, divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 large jalapenos, minced with seeds and membranes removed (divide in half)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped + extra for garnish
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 ½ cups pepper jack cheese, shredded and divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a paper towel onto a microwave-safe dinner plate. Place 4 strips of bacon side-by-side on the plate. Cover with another paper towel. Cook on high for 4-5 minutes or until the bacon is crispy. Repeat with the remaining slices. The outer slices can cook faster than the inside pieces, so check them after 4 minutes.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, half of the jalapenos, onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire, chili powder, and cayenne pepper into a mixing bowl. Stir until smooth. Add the cilantro and 1 1/4 cups of each cheese and mix well. Crumble 4 strips of bacon mix into the cheese mixture.
- Spoon into a cast iron skillet and smooth the top. Crumble the last 2 strips of bacon and sprinkle it on top. Sprinkle the leftover cheese and jalapenos on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Remove it from the oven and sprinkle the leftover cilantro on top. Serve warm with tortilla chips, toasted bread slices, bread sticks, fresh vegetables, or crackers.